Stanhill Wesleyans celebrate

In Oswaldtwistle one of the most important buildings in the town was the National School, which opened in New Lane in 1831 and was a combined day and Sunday school. In the 1840s it was closed for several years because of lack of funds, until the vicar of Immanuel Church persuaded his congregation of the need for education and the money to finance it.

One of the main families at Oswaldtwistle was the Peel family; Peel Fold was the home of Robert “Parsley” Peel whose wealth came from calico printing, with which he experimented at his house, eventually creating a parsley leaf pattern which would become his trademark. He and his brother-in-law William Haworth set up a business Haworth, Peel and Yates, in 1750, with William Yates, the landlord of the local public house, providing the financial backing.